February 4, 2019
In this modern web podcast, Rob Ocel and Tracy Lee speak to Tanmai Gopal and Uri Goldshtein about GraphQL.
Uri Goldshtein - Founder The Guild -@UriGoldshtein
Tanmai Gopal - Founder @Hasura - @tanmaigo
Tracy Lee - @ladyleet
Rob Ocel - @robocell
Why is GraphQL exploding in popularity
Why GraphQL isn't a fad
How to get started with GraphQL
What are the full-stack benefits of GraphQL
How to sell GraphQL to your team
How to migrate to GraphQL
What happens to clients that still use your REST APIs
How does GraphQL help front-end component-based architectures
How can GraphQL help with real-time data
How can you get involved in the GraphQL community
Immutable User Interfaces (Lee Byron) - Full Stack Fest 2016
January 25, 2019
Welcome to another Modern Web podcast!
In this episode, Tracy Lee and Rob Ocel will be talking with the AMP team about Accelerate Mobile Pages, an open-source library created by Google that to make publishing websites easier than ever.
Ben Morss, Prateek Bhatnagar, and Kristofer Baxter will be our guests in this discussion. We talk about PWA, a11y, performance, AMP with frameworks, AMP Script and upcoming releases.
- The AMP Project is an open-source initiative aiming to make web performance better. The project enables the creation of websites and ads that are consistently fast, beautiful and high-performing across devices and distribution platforms.
-AMP pages are just web pages that you can link to and are controlled by you. It focuses on giving the best experience to your users, loading near instantaneously and performing great in mobiles devices.
-AMP builds on existing features and you can render it with user agents you already have set.
AMP official website: https://www.ampproject.org/
December 4, 2018
In this Modern Web podcast, Tracy Lee (@ladyleet) and Rob Ocel (@robocell) interview Dominic Farolino (@domfarolino) about his adventures in getting involved in browser standards and how others can get involved too.
Dominic Farolino is a WHATWG Standards Editor, Chrome Committer, Student and Software Engineer.
- Actually getting involved - how do you do that? What is the process?
- What is the difference between the different standards bodies?
- How do you get started and why should you choose to contribute to W3C, WHATWG, or TC39?
- How do standards bodies work together?
- Observable proposal
December 4, 2018
In this modern web podcast, Tracy Lee speaks with 2 core team members of the Angular team - Hans Larsen who leads the CLI team and Ben Lesh, author of RxJS.
- Ivy is the biggest focus on the Angular team currently. Ivy is almost done and will make things smaller and tree shakeable.
- Hans is focused on schematics - a library to help you build and generate work flows.
- CLI - Bazel support is a focus right now to make the CLI faster
- Ng update is a smarter way to update dependencies across major versions - it will refactor your project to remove breaking changes and fix breaking changes so you won’t see something is breaking.
- What does schematics enable?
- What is ng add and ng update and how are people using them?
- What is the future of the CLI?
- Angular console
You can follow Tracy Lee on twitter @ladyleet, Hans Larsen @hanslatwork, and Ben Lesh @benlesh.
December 4, 2018
In this Modern Web podcast we will be having Stephanie Drescher and Anton Molleda Quintana talk about webhint with our hosts, Tracy Lee and Rob Ocel.
- What is webhint and how can you use it?
- What are some use cases for webhint?
- What hints does webhint give you that are helpful?
- Webhint is cross browser and cross platform, but it can be used without browsers too
- Contributing to webhint - you can too!
- Webhint is a JS Foundation project
- How to use webhint in the community
- What is coming for webhint 2019?
- How can you get involved?
- Learn about Nellie the Narwhal
To learn more about webhint, visit https://webhint.io/
For more Modern Web podcasts, visit https://www.thisdot.co/modern-web
October 17, 2018
Join us for the Modern Web podcast featuring one of our favorite topics: Houdini.
Aimee Knight @aimee_knight
Vitalii Bobrov @bobrov1989
Tracy Lee @ladyleet
Rob Ocel @robocell
Houdini is a project that has been around for a few years, but advancements have made this project increasingly interesting this year.
* What is houdini?
* What are worklets?
* How is the houdini API structured?
* How does houdini work under the hood?
* Where is houdini today? Where are the specs? Where are other browsers with relation to implementing houdini?
* What is available for folks to contribute? The houdini task force meeting.
* CSS Paint API, custom layout API,
* Where is the documentation?
* Where do we keep up to date on houdini apis?
* How stable are the houdini apis?
* Surma maintains a Google Chrome Labs repository for houdini - a great place for samples.
* ishoudinireadyyet.com - great resource for specs, spec ideas, and where they are at.
* Vitaliy has some great demos https://vitaliy-bobrov.github.io/css-... & https://github.com/vitaliy-bobrov/pos...
September 27, 2018
In this Modern Web podcast OJ Kwon & Ben Lesh from the RxJS core team will discuss what's new in RxJS with Tracy Lee and Robert Ocel.
Some topics covered:
- What's new in the RxJS latest release
- RxJS testing - what’s available today and coming for tomorrow
- Support for async generators
- RxJS staying framework agnostic
- RxJS and Node - is there support for Node developers?
- RxJS docs
- A marketplace for operators?
- Come contribute to RxJS
If you need RxJS help, visit https://www.thisdot.co/labs
You can follow us on Twitter:
Tracy Lee @ladyleet
Rob Ocel @robocell
Ben Lesh @benlesh
OJ Kwon @_ojkwon
September 5, 2018
Tracy Lee, Co-Founder, This Dot Labs, RxJS Core Team, Google Developer Expert
Nathan Walker, Co-Founder, nStudio
TJ VanToll, Developer Relations at Progress
Stanimira Vlaeva, NativeScript Core Team
In this episode of the Modern Web podcast, we discuss with 3 different NativeScript people about NativeScript!
We talk about:
What NativeScript is.
How it compares to technologies like React Native.
Integration with Angular, Vue, and other technologies.
NativeScript and code sharing.
What's coming in the next NativeScript 5.0 release?
August 30, 2018
Modern Web Podcast on CSS
Hosts: Tracy Lee (@ladyleet) - This Dot Co-founder, RxJS Core Team, Google Developer Expert
Aimee Knight (@Aimee_Knight) - Software Engineer @ Built Technology, GDE
Chris DeMars (@saltnburnem) - Senior UI Developer, Google Developer Expert
Topics: In this podcast, we discuss the latest features in CSS, CSS careers, and what our guests are excited about in upcoming standards.
You can follow us on twitter @moderdotweb + @thisdotmedia
August 8, 2018
Tracy Lee and Jeff Mahoney co-host this podcast and speak to Alex Castillo and Robert Plummer about Neurotech and Machine Learning.
Alex Castillo is the co-founder of Neurosity, a new neurotech startup. You can follow him on Twitter at @castillo__io.
This podcast discusses:
- What is neurotech?
- What is machine learning?
- How can one get involved in any of these projects?
- Where are we in relation to technology advancements currently?
- How do neurotech and machine learning fit together?
- What is the future for these two technologies?