October 17, 2018
Join us for the Modern Web podcast featuring one of our favorite topics: Houdini.
Aimee Knight @aimee_knight
Vitalii Bobrov @bobrov1989
Tracy Lee @ladyleet
Rob Ocel @robocell
Houdini is a project that has been around for a few years, but advancements have made this project increasingly interesting this year.
* What is houdini?
* What are worklets?
* How is the houdini API structured?
* How does houdini work under the hood?
* Where is houdini today? Where are the specs? Where are other browsers with relation to implementing houdini?
* What is available for folks to contribute? The houdini task force meeting.
* CSS Paint API, custom layout API,
* Where is the documentation?
* Where do we keep up to date on houdini apis?
* How stable are the houdini apis?
* Surma maintains a Google Chrome Labs repository for houdini - a great place for samples.
* ishoudinireadyyet.com - great resource for specs, spec ideas, and where they are at.
* Vitaliy has some great demos https://vitaliy-bobrov.github.io/css-... & https://github.com/vitaliy-bobrov/pos...
September 27, 2018
In this Modern Web podcast OJ Kwon & Ben Lesh from the RxJS core team will discuss what's new in RxJS with Tracy Lee and Robert Ocel.
Some topics covered:
- What's new in the RxJS latest release
- RxJS testing - what’s available today and coming for tomorrow
- Support for async generators
- RxJS staying framework agnostic
- RxJS and Node - is there support for Node developers?
- RxJS docs
- A marketplace for operators?
- Come contribute to RxJS
If you need RxJS help, visit https://www.thisdot.co/labs
You can follow us on Twitter:
Tracy Lee @ladyleet
Rob Ocel @robocell
Ben Lesh @benlesh
OJ Kwon @_ojkwon
September 5, 2018
Tracy Lee, Co-Founder, This Dot Labs, RxJS Core Team, Google Developer Expert
Nathan Walker, Co-Founder, nStudio
TJ VanToll, Developer Relations at Progress
Stanimira Vlaeva, NativeScript Core Team
In this episode of the Modern Web podcast, we discuss with 3 different NativeScript people about NativeScript!
We talk about:
What NativeScript is.
How it compares to technologies like React Native.
Integration with Angular, Vue, and other technologies.
NativeScript and code sharing.
What's coming in the next NativeScript 5.0 release?
August 30, 2018
Modern Web Podcast on CSS
Hosts: Tracy Lee (@ladyleet) - This Dot Co-founder, RxJS Core Team, Google Developer Expert
Aimee Knight (@Aimee_Knight) - Software Engineer @ Built Technology, GDE
Chris DeMars (@saltnburnem) - Senior UI Developer, Google Developer Expert
Topics: In this podcast, we discuss the latest features in CSS, CSS careers, and what our guests are excited about in upcoming standards.
You can follow us on twitter @moderdotweb + @thisdotmedia
August 8, 2018
Tracy Lee and Jeff Mahoney co-host this podcast and speak to Alex Castillo and Robert Plummer about Neurotech and Machine Learning.
Alex Castillo is the co-founder of Neurosity, a new neurotech startup. You can follow him on Twitter at @castillo__io.
This podcast discusses:
- What is neurotech?
- What is machine learning?
- How can one get involved in any of these projects?
- Where are we in relation to technology advancements currently?
- How do neurotech and machine learning fit together?
- What is the future for these two technologies?
July 25, 2018
Modern Web Podcast on Testing with host Jay Phelps and guests Kent C Dodds and Gil Tayar.
Jay Phelps (@_jayphelps) - Lead Software Architect at This Dot, GDE
Gil Tayar (@giltayar) - Sr Software Architect at Applitools
- React testing utilities by Kent
- How many tests should we have?
- Terminology: Unit vs. Integration vs. Acceptance etc
- Improving test stability
- Snapshot testing
- Cypress vs. Selenium
- Visual testing
Sponsored by This Dot Labs
Follow us on Twitter! @thisdotmedia + @moderndotweb
July 18, 2018
Tracy and Ben meet with three Preact Core team members to talk about the preact-cli, upcoming releases, and the general direction of this popular library.
Tracy Lee (@ladyleet) - This Dot Co-founder, GDE, RxJS Core team
Ben Lesh (@benlesh) - Engineer at Google, Co-founder This Dot, RxJS Core team
Jason Miller (@_developit) - Creator of @preactjs. Web DevRel at Google.
Zouhir Chahoud (@_zouhir) - Technical Program Manager for Edge at Microsoft
Prateek Bhatnagar (@_prateekbh) - Works on Amp, User Experience Engineer at Google
June 20, 2018
Modern Web "V8" Podcast
Jay Phelps (@_jayphelps) - Support, training, pairing, mentoring, software architecting @ThisDotLabs
Benedikt Meurer (@bmeurer) - @NodeJS Performance TL @Google, in @GoogleChrome / @v8js
Mathias Bynens (@mathias) - work on @v8js at Google and on ECMAScript through TC39
Jaroslav Sevcik - Senior Software Engineer @ Google, V8 Compiler Engineer
Follow @v8js and @moderndotweb on Twitter!
What is V8?
How V8 has evolved over the years?
How should we write performant code for Ignition/Turbofan?
How much does Node.js influence decisions?
What cool platform/JS language features are in the pipeline?
What’s your take on WebAssembly?
What are some other uses of V8 outside of the browsers/node?
What else should everyone know?
May 23, 2018
Tara Manicsic @tzmanics - Developer advocate at Progress/Kendo UI, GDE
Deanna Leavitt @DeannaLeavitt - This Dot labs member, WTM lead, GDG Triangle co-organizer
Sarah Federman @sarah_federman - Design Engineer, working on Spectrum design system at Adobe
Don't forget to buy your Fluent Conference tickets with our 20% discount code on gold, silver, and bronze passes!
- Representation at Conferences
- Calling for conference speakers
- Hiring diversely
- Implicit bias testing
- Small things that create inclusion/exclusion
May 9, 2018
Modern Web Podcast on Blockchain with Preethi Kasireddy, Nik Kalyani, Fred Schott, Kyle Simpson and Tracy Lee.
Kyle Simpson @getify - Open Web Evangelist, Founder/Owner DevGo, Inc.
Preethi Kasireddy @iam_preethi - Blockchain Engineer + Founder & CEO at Schelling
Nik Kalyani @techbubble - CTO/Founder of Whenhub + Web/Blockchain Architect
Fred Schott @FredKSchott - Frontend Engineer at Ripple, previously Google Polymer
Tracy Lee @Ladyleet - CTO of This Dot, Google Developer Expert
- How to get started in blockchain and the main concepts
- What use cases are there for blockchain
- What tools can you use?
- Why are some people skeptical about blockchain?
- Cool projects and the future of blockchain technology